Re: compiling OCI code

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:19:26 -0500

"John" <junk_at_junk.com> wrote in news:baus61$db2$1_at_perki.connect.com.au:

> Hi,
>
> I have a C program that uses oracle 7.3 OCI calls. what libraries do
> I need to include to compile the code against oracle 806?

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean because you ought to be able to compile using OCI 7 and with the the binary, access an Oracle 8.x Instance. If you dynamically link your code, the binary will need to have access to the OCI 7 libraries, otherwise you can statically link it.

The 'issue' is that you won't be able to take advantage of any of Oracle 8's features - although you really should upgrade your instance.

Blueoak has a conversion utility that you may be interested that upgrades from OCI 7 to OCI 8/OCI 9:

         http://www.blueoakdb.com/products/shim.html

--
Pablo Sanchez, Blueoak Database Engineering
http://www.blueoakdb.com