Technical Interviews

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 May 2003 12:43:46 -0700

I have a generic question about the "technical interviews" we as DBA often have to go through to get a posting (I'm a consultant) or position: When interviewed by another DBA, do you ever feel that your answers should be tailored by the knowledge/myths of the DBA interviewing? For example, I got asked just last week during one of these interviews if "a full table scan is bad?". An "ordinary" DBA would answer "yes" right away. But anyone either doing some research on the topic on internet or trying different scenarios himself knows that the answer is "it depends!" (it seems to me that this is the answer to most of the intelligent Oracle-related questions). Some more examples of tricky questions I had to answer include "how often should we rebuild indexes?" (the correct answer is that some indexes should never be rebuilt, but try to explain that to someone who rebuilds ALL the indexes religeously every 3 months) or "How much bigger would you make the buffer pool if the hit ratio was only 80%?". It seems that I could go on and talk about each of these questions for half an hour easily. I went successfully through that interview, but it's only because I played the role of a DBA who follows the myths. Had I answered honestly to the questions, I'm sure he would have thought "what a freak!", and I would never have heard of them again!

Daniel Received on Mon May 26 2003 - 14:43:46 CDT