Re: Oracle Licensing

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 15:00:32 +0100

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3ECD5328.69886BDA_at_telusplanet.net...
> This is unfortunately a very complex topic and the final answer legally
> must come from Oracle, not us. Also, talk to them to see whether you
> can get additional discounts, etc.

<snip>

> - If you get the CPU license, all CPUs physically in the server need to
> be licensed. If it's a 2 CPU chassis capable for 4 CPUs - license 2
> now, add licenses if you upgrade the box to add CPUs.

There is a caveat which is that if the chassis can take more than 4 processors you are supposed to buy EE even if you only have two processors.

> - CPU licenses allow any number of users concurrent access to all the
> instances on the server. So there is a break-even point between Named
> User Plus and CPU. Effectively start with Named User Plus and user the
> CPU as an upper limit.

Note that changing from one license type to another is charged at extortionate rates. For example we needed to change from 100 named users (across several machines including this one) to keep 20 named users (for the other boxes) and 2 processor licenses.

Store cost for 2 processor licenses GBP 21k Store cost for 80 named users GBP 18k

Upgrade cost to effectively ditch 80 users in favour of 2 processor licenses GBP 15k. This is *after* a large discount for govt customers and when negotiating at the appropriate time of the year.

I draw two lessons from this.

  1. license by processor if it is likely that named user usage of the system will increase and the costs are broadly comparable to start with.
  2. Oracle have probably lost themselves over 100k of future business because of this daft licensing approach - if this is repeated elsewhere either the licensing model or the companies profits will have to give.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA