Re: Role of ORACLE_SID?

From: Antoine BRUNEL <antoinebrunel/yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:35:53 +0200

Hi from Paris

to be more precise, setting ORACLE_SID has no means outside of the server machine. This variable is used, in conjunction with value for ORACLE_HOME, to get the SGA memory adress, in order to attach the shadow process to shared memory.

Using SQL*Net, this task is done by the listener, which has to start the shadow process and attach it to SGA.

So, there is no reason to set ORACLE_SID on client machines...

"Frank" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de news:3ECD1E54.3030105_at_netscape.net...
> Volker Hetzer wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I've been debugging a log on problem for the last few days and I think
I'm
> > in the process of finding the error in my idea of how the oracle
connection
> > is established.
> > So, can anybody explain to me the role of the environment variable
ORACLE_SID
> > in a scenario where the client sits on a different machine from the db
server?

> > I had assumed, when I set ORACLE_SID to the Db SID then sqlplus would,
> > when called "sqlplus name/passwd" check the environment for the SID,
> > consult tnsnames on where to find a db with that sid and then connect to
it.

> Close, but no tnsnames (or LDAP, or HOSTS, or whatever is defined in
> sqlnet.ora):
>
> D:\oracle\817\bin>set ORACLE_SID=web920
> D:\oracle\817\bin>sqlplus system/manager
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu May 22 20:52:33 2003
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> Enter user-name:
> D:\oracle\817\bin>type sqlnet.log

> Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleweb920)(ARG S='

(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=web92 0)(C

ID=(PROGRAM=D:\oracle\817\bin\SQLPLUS.EXE)(HOST=CS-FRANK02)(USER=frankbo))))