database creation script

From: Peter Morris <nospam.ple_at_se.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:32:44 +0000 (UTC)

I'm having trouble creating a database with a script. I've already used the Database Configuration Assistant to create a couple, called TestDB and PetersDB, but I want to learn how to do it with a script.

I've written the script following the advice in the DBA manual, but I don't understand how to run it. The manual says I have to start SQLplus, okay I've done that. To start it I have to log in as a particular user in a particular database, eg

User name : SYSTEM
Password : manager
Host string : PetersDB

Then once I've started SQLplus, I have to CONNECT system/manager AS SYSDAB. Done that.

Then I have to STARTUP NOMOUNT. Done that.

Then I run the script, and get the following error message: 'database name 'NewDB' does not match parameter db_name 'PetersDB'

I suspect the oproblem is with starting SQLplus, can you start it so its connected to Oracle itself, rather than a particular database? how do you do that? Received on Fri May 23 2003 - 10:32:44 CDT