terminology

From: Peter Morris <nospam.ple_at_se.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:32:35 +0000 (UTC)

I'm having trouble understanding certain ORACLE terminology. For example, I don't understand the difference between an Oracle database and an Oracle instance. Also, what's the difference between start/stop a database , mount/unmount a database and open/close a database?

Is there a manual that would explain these terms, and others that I will probably encounter in my studies? Preferably in PDF format that I can download.

I've looked at the Server Concepts manual, and the Administrator's Guide but can't find a clear explaination there. It tells me HOW to start a database, but not precisely what it means. Received on Fri May 23 2003 - 10:32:35 CDT