AUST Only: Training Course by Jonathan Lewis

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 May 2003 15:04:16 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3ECD1A7D.CD44CE3B_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> "Edward J. Prochak" wrote:
>
> > sdg wrote:
> > > You arrogant hypocrite twit. What do you think that crap at the end of any of your post is?
> > []
> >
> > It's called a "Signature". It is not the message itself. Daniels is all of
> > four lines.

Years ago 4 lines was the accepted standard, and people would get flamed for longer sigs. Fortunately, that standard has gone obsolete.  I find it entertaining to adhere to anyways.

> > Jonathan can and does use a signature (One of his postings has a sig of
> > 18lines not counting empty lines! though his standard is three).

I think he should shorten it, but my opinion really does not matter.

> > Daniel has never objected to a sig with advertisement.
> >
> > and note that I'm posting this one from my work account, so according to you I
> > am also now spamming the group.
> >
> > Get your facts straight before calling names.
> >
> > and get a real email address. 8^)
> >
> > --
> > Edward J. Prochak --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
> > Ofc: 440-498-3700 --- 7295 Popham Place, Solon, OH 44139
> > on the web at --- http://www.magicinterface.com
> > email: ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com
>
> A sig is contact information. It is how people can contact you. And is not considered spam.

Not really. It could be and should be, but there has never been anything wrong with it being pure entertainment. But yes, it is not considered spam and has been tolerated even for commercial messages for a long time. That wasn't so bad when they were limited to 4 lines... :-)

> That, as you point out, is acceptable by any usenet standard I have ever seen and is a far cry
> from:
> Our company has released a new product called XYZ
> That slices, dices, and plays David Bowie CDs
> Come visit our web site and bring your credit card with you.
>
> Speaking of which I wonder whether my comments about Abelour and Richard's about Bowie
> will now be viewed as cheap promotional stunts. Next thing Peter and Howard will get nicked
> for promoting tourism to Australia not that I would much care. Some people seem capable of
> being offended by the sun coming up.

Looking over this thread so far, I have to disagree the OP was inappropriate. It was for a user group meeting, not for a commercial lecture. I'm not entirely convinced it should have been limited in distribution, either, I for one might go see a user group meeting elsewhere when traveling.

I also agree with Sybrand that everyone should be held to the same standard. I have mixed feelings over the issue of limited commercial announcements apropro Oracle. This newsgroup is, after all, the one where stuff that doesn't fit into the other cdo groups goes. So is a user group a commercial announcement? Well, maybe, is the user group free? Is the user group an edu? I think even no, yes respectively to those last two questions still keeps it out of cdo.marketplace. Should Mr. Lewis be allowed to post announcements for paid lectures here? Technically, no, it's against the charter. However, if we all agree or at least tolerate it, maybe it then becomes acceptable. But where do we draw the line? I think this group is active enough to allow a certain amount of such posting, but we must agree on limits. Otherwise the netcopping will be just as bad as spam. Netcopping is necessary, if distasteful. We will never all agree 100%, but if most of us agree and conform, those that don't will be viewed as outcastes.  Some will revel in that. Others will revel in flaming them. Such is usenet.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus. http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=spam&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=misc.jobs.misc&lr=&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=22&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=1994&hl=en