Re: Role of ORACLE_SID?

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:32:54 -0500

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>I've been debugging a log on problem for the last few days and I think I'm
>in the process of finding the error in my idea of how the oracle connection
>is established.
>So, can anybody explain to me the role of the environment variable ORACLE_SID
>in a scenario where the client sits on a different machine from the db server?
>
>I had assumed, when I set ORACLE_SID to the Db SID then sqlplus would,
>when called "sqlplus name/passwd" check the environment for the SID,
>consult tnsnames on where to find a db with that sid and then connect to it.
>
>Is this wrong?
>From my experiments it seems to be that I *always* have to call sqlplus
>like "sqlplus name/passwd_at_networkDbName". Is this correct?
>
>Lots of greetings!
>Volker
>--

The ORACLE_SID variable does in fact lead to the database instance but, IIRC, it needs to be set to the tnanames.ora alias not the actual sid when used from remote client ( setting a LOCAL variable to the alias is another way to do this..)  On the database server, it is used to 'switch' between instances when multiple instances are installed..It tells the subsequent commands which instance to affect...