Re: newbie-desc command

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:35:07 GMT

Me wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:46:27 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:
[]

>>I'm positive we don't need more GUI-trained monkeys who don't know
>>anything about relational theory, before they start designing their
>>first production app. (I'm NOT joking, most of the database I
>>administer run applications designed by people who have only been
>>exposed to a 'point and shoot' training)

> But having people who can do all the theory but cannot pass one decent
> SQL query or/and are ignorant with the pratical/implementation part?
> Is that a good thing?
>
> Thanks for expressing your opinion.

I think his point is that you need both, Relational theory and SQL Practice.

The best SQL developer I ever met was highly knowledgable in Relational theory. (Eric M., if you read this, I mean you!) I have met way too may folks that thought that since they could code an SQL statement, they knew what they were doing.

Those that can, code. Those that can't, point and click. ;)

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/