Re: Sample database

From: Peter Morris <nospam.ple_at_se.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:55:37 +0000 (UTC)

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ECACD31.5338F723_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Peter Morris wrote:
>
> > Is there a sample Oracle database I can download,
> > I want to practise things like configuration, backup,
> > etc. Say, about 30 tables, plus indexes, stored procedures,
> > triggers and so on. Maybe 50 MB or so.
> >
> > TIA
>
> If by sample database do you mean the complete Oracle product?

No, that would be the DBMS.

I want a sample database, ie some tables with data in them, something I can practise backing up and configuring for optimal performance.

I already have the Oracle product installed.

> If you do
> you are talking about 3GB of product and when installed it will create a
> sample database with schemas.

Do you mean the old EMP / DEPT / SALGRADE database? I'd like something a bit larger than that. Its fine for learning programming SQL, but a bit small for learning about allocation of tablespaces, performance monitoring, backing up, etc.

> You can get it at no charge at
> http://www.oracle.com
>
> If you already have an Oracle installation you are misusing the word
> database and mean schema in which case one already exists.

As I understand it, the term 'database' refers to an organised collection of data, and 'schema' means a description of how the data is arranged.

> Ask your DBA
> for a user-id and password.

Actually, I'm studying at home on my own computer. I'm my own DBA, at least I'm trying to learn DBA skills.