Re: how to redirect a TNS-request?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:47:17 +0200

"Patrick Zesar" <jonnypichler_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:3eca8217$0$17652$91cee783_at_newsreader02.highway.telekom.at...
> i have the following situation:
> i'm working on a project in school, where i access an oracle-server whichs
> TNS-Name is 'ora9i'.
>
> unfortunately, i named my local oracle at home 'ora92'. So i have to
change
> the TNS-Name in the code, everytime i change my working-environment (from
> school to home and back). i know it's not good code, when the connection
> parameters are included and all this stuff, but:
>
> is there a simple way to redirect all TNS-requests which go to 'ora9i' to
my
> 'ora92'??
> probably by altering tnsnames.ora or something like that?
>
> any suggestions highly apprecciated, thx beforehand
>
> patrick

Why would you need to 'redirect' TNS-requests? Because you are too lazy to enter a few keystrokes?
If that's the case set the LOCAL variable in HKLM\software\oracle on your own pc to ora92 and leave the host entry empty. Type 'ora9i' in the host entry
when you want to connect to the school server.

For some reason I have the strange feeling one should also learn to *work* on schools, but I might be getting old.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA