Re: SQL server to Oracle Migration

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:17:52 -0700

Nate Tobik wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are currently trying to migrate from SQL server to Oracle. But
> we're running into a problem with the values of the table. The datatype in
> SQL Server is an integer type, and in Oracle a number (10,0), the
> application we're using to connect with Oracle is reporting a
> "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range, state: S1003"
> error. What is happening is the program is looking for an integer and
> Oracle has a number. We changed the field from NUMBER (10,0) to NUMBER (9)
> in hopes that the ODBC driver would recognize the NUMBER (9) as an integer.
> It didn't work, does anyone have any ideas, or anythink we can try next?
> thank you.
>
> Nate Tobik
> VigilantMinds

Migrating via an ODBC driver is not an optimal approach.

Dump you data into delimited files, preferrably vertical bar delimited (not comma) and use SQL*Loader to bring the data into Oracle.

Be aware that the underlying architecture of the two databases is entirely different and what works in SQL Server will not work in Oracle and visa versa.

If you need more help you can contact me off-line using the email address (with substitution) below.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu