Re: Importing .dmp file in Windows

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 May 2003 10:51:54 -0700

"Matthew J. McNally" <matthew.mcnally_at_amjec.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Bg5ya.7856$sJ4.2904_at_newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...
> I know this is probably a common question - I have found several threads
> searching google, but none of them have fixed my problem.
>
> 8(
>

> I have been given a .dmp file from a client, which I know is an export of an
> Oracle database.
>
> But - I cannot import it into a database.
>

> I am really struggling at doing this - I have spent a lot of time searching
> google - but find only answers to questions, other than my own.
>

> What I am really looking for is a very basic, step by step guide to creating
> importing data from the .dmp file into a new database.
>

> I really son't want to do anything with it in Oracle - just need it in a
> database so I can use ODBC to import it into a SQL Server database (as the
> client is an MS shop).
>

> Any help or pointers for someone having a hard time?
>

> Matt

Need more info then what you have provided,

  1. What is the version of the source database?
  2. What is the version of the target database?
  3. "Unable to import" is wide open as Universe. Provide specific error message that you recieve.
  4. Provide what steps you are taking.

Export/Import is version dependent... meaning you have to mix and match exp and imp tools according to your source/target Oracle versions.

If you have access to Oracle metalink, there is an exp/imp compatability matrix that you can look at, http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=132904.1

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 12:51:54 CDT