Re: How to insert values?

From: Me <me_at_privacy.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:54:16 +0530

On Sun, 18 May 2003 21:44:22 GMT, Hans Forbrich wrote:

:Me wrote:
:
:> On Sun, 18 May 2003 13:23:38 -0700, Ana C. Dent wrote:
:> :The "obvious"(?) solution is to.....
:> :
:> :DISABLE the primary & foreign keys.
:> :Load the data into the tables.
:> :ENABLE the primary & foreign keys.
:>
:> Yes, that is an obvious solution. I infact used an 'obvious solution'
:> even when I had problems creating the tables because each one had a
:> foreign key!
:>
:> But is there a 'more correct' or 'elegant' solution to
:>
:> 1) Creating the tables
:> 2) Inserting the values (with foreign and primary keys enabled)
:>
:
:Your problem is that you have a closed, circular reference loop.
:Eliminate one of the Foreign Key sets, think of that entry as the top of
:the heap, and start inserting from there. If you draw a picture
:describing your tables including the links between them, you should
:quickly be able to decide which one(s) to eliminate (or defer or disable)

I can do that for inserting the values once. But again if I enable the foreign keys then I will not be able to append further values in any table, right?

So can I conclude that the basic design of the table is itself wrong?

Thanks. Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 06:24:16 CDT