Re: total newbie sql plus log on..?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 16:01:27 GMT

dave moore wrote:

> hi .. I just installed Oracle lite... Learning Sql and database.... dont
> mean to be overly
> dumb... but what is my user name , password, and host string in the logon
> dialog
> as sql plus starts..... I really feel dumb..... :[ thx in advance
> D.Moore

Not sure about Oracle Lite. Based on my reading, that might not be the best place to start learning. It is not a typical Oracle environment. That said, typical user/password combinations for the big brothers, Personal/Standard&Enterprise are

system/manager - adminstrator
scott/tiger - the demo environment

and a recent thread in c.d.o.server discussed several others (use google/yahoo to find scott/tiger in c.d.o.s archives)

Lite is intended as a laptop 'slave' to a corporate database, not really as a standalone database (think Palm Pilot & sync'ing back to the desktop). Have your browsed the documentation at Technet (http://otn.oracle.com)? Default passwords tend to be in the documentation - frequently in the embedded screen shots.

If you really want to learn this, consider getting the Tech Tracks from Technet (either download or by CD) and installing Personal or Standard to start. This might be a bit heavy weight - requires a decent machine (personally consider Pentium 600 a minimum), plan on 20GB disk and need 256M memory (prefer 384M or higher). But then you can learn using the full SQLPlus environment. Received on Sat May 17 2003 - 11:01:27 CDT