oracle connection hang, and vbscript

From: bigbinc <bigbinc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 May 2003 17:34:19 -0700

I am trying to connect to an oracle database over the internet and my page keeps hanging on the connect code. I am using oracle9.0.1 and using the default client installs on the iis server. I have also installed ole db. Our network config is such that the oracle server is a seperate machine from the webserver and this is where I think the problem is. I can connect to the oracle server through sql*plus from the webserver. When I go to the odbc connection under administrative tools and press test connection that works also. But when I run my web page which is a simple open connection, the page hangs. My tnsnames.ora looks ok, as does my sqlnet.ora, plus the same setup works with sql*plus and the odbc connection. So where is the problem, why no webpage, no error message, nothing? My guess is my admin locked up that port over the internet or something?

i.e
pseudo-code

Dim x
x = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Dim b
b = "Provider=OLEDB.Oracle.1;uid,pwd,blah, blah" x.open b <--- hangs at this point.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc_at_hotmail.com Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 19:34:19 CDT