Oracle 9i troubles

From: Arcadius A. <ahouans_at_sh.cvut.cz>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:04:59 +0200

Hello!
I've sucessfully installed Oracle 9i on my WinXP box.... I can connect to the DB server locally using SQLPlus and the SYSTEM account without specifying the "host string"
<prompt>

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu May 15 17:30:39 2003 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to:
Personal Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
SQL>
</prompt>

But when I specify a host string, i get an error: "ORA-12541: TNS:no listener" or
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" However, when I don't specify a host string, it works great!

 I want to connect to the server using AquaDataStudio( http://www.aquafold.com/ )... the application has 2 JDBC drivers(Oracle 9i and Oracle9i-OCI).... however I'm not sure which driver to choose, I could not connect to the server using the provided drivers... The errors are the following : "Connection failed: IO exception: The network adapter could not establish the connection" (when I choose Oracle 9i driver) and "Connection failled: ORA-12541: Tns: no listener" (when I choose Oracle 9i-OCI driver).

Please what to do to make Oracle work properly? Please Is there any change I should make on the server before using JDBC to connect to the server?
Please... help... I'm really new to Oracle.

Thanks in advance.

Have a great day.

Arcadius A. Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 11:04:59 CDT