Re: ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:28:55 GMT

bronke_at_gmx.de said...
> I have following problem, and did not found a solution in Google.
>
> I have one new PC with a database 8i on Win2K. I connect to it successfully.
>
> Now I get this problem, which seems to be an TCP Problem. So what was
> changed to before.
> The PC gots an fixed IP, because via a Linux-Box we distribute some services
> to the internet (via apache etc.) This works fine. But if I try to connect
> to the database internally e.g. sqlplus I get this error message.
>
> Can someone give me a hint?
>
> Regards
>
> Nicolas
>
> BTW Sybrand - if you do hate to answer me, please move me into your kill
> file. Your suggestions are nonesens.

I don't know how much of a "hint" this is, but you might take a look at the AskTom site, where one document talks about this error (will wrap):

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1090762::NO::F4950_P8 _DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:689224851078, There are also a couple of hits if you type the ORA error in a Google search.

What search order do you have specified in your sqlnet.ora file for the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH entry? If you specify TNSNAMES, what does the applicable tnanames.ora entry contain? If you specify HOSTNAME, what do you get if you type 'hostname' on your target (Win2k PC) in a DOS window? What result do you get if you ping, tnsping and nslookup the IP?

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA