Re: Oracle 8i on Win XP

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:59:17 +0200

"TurkBear" <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:3i35cv87k1316tk09pdi58cul4fgc7c8ee_at_4ax.com...
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 14 May 2003 10:56:08 -0500, TurkBear
> ><john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote:
> >
> >>Perhaps a Pentium 4 processor?
> >>
> >>If so, do a google search in the comp.databases.oracle.* groups for
Pentium 4 or Pentium IV and read up on the work
> >>arounds..Better yet, use the Oracle 9.2 release..It works fine with
P4s...

> >8i is not certified for XP. Period.
> >

> >Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> >To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
> Certification is not the same as will not work..Just no Oracle support (
unless you get a flexible tech)...

I don't agree with you: not certified means it is not *guaranteed* to work. It might work and it might work. You should recommend people unfamiliar with Oracle to run on an uncertified O/S. They will end in a mess. Your advice is more suitable for hackers and should be considered unprofessional in this forum. You are aware people might up end in a mess because of your advice: so don't advice them this configuration.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA