Re: Oracle entry level

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:37:00 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EBF27F6.1CC5591F_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Frank Polinski wrote:
>
> > I have my degree in CIS 3 years ago. It never realy came into play on
> > past job which was software sales. i was recently laid off 3 months
> > ago . So I decided I would polish up my skills by enrolling in an
> > Oracle program at a techinical school in Atlanta. It seems that
> > oracle 9i developer using forms and reports is the way to go if you
> > intend to be a DBA down the line. however no techical schools in
> > atlanta teach Developer 2000 just datebase modelling and design,Oracle
> > 9i SQL and 2 courses of Oracle fundementals I and II PL/SQL. Is this
> > enough training couple with a CIS degree to possibly qualify for entry
> > level developer job?
>
> You seem to have quite a bit of confusion.
>
> 1. Oracle Forms and Reports, any version, is virtually irrelevant to a DBA
> position
> 2. Developer/2000 is an obsolete product no longer supported by Oracle
> 3. But yes you might land an entry level developer job. But I wouldn't
> expect anyone would
> have much use for you unless you can handle nested cursor loops and
> some serious PL/SQL
> which is something you don't mention at all.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

This guy sent me an email. He is spending thousands of dollars at a training school called 'Chubb Institute'. I called them several years ago and spoke to them before I went into Oracle development. I thought they were horrible.

I called them on the phone and asked for a price quote. My response 'Our course selection is very complex, so we dont like to give out prices over the phone.' Then they kept talking until I came in. Anyone who does not give out prices over the phone is suspect.

Then their supposed 'counselor' was some dopey sales guy who didnt know anything, but pretended he did. I kept asking the guy the cost of the class, he refused to tell me. He talked me into taking some silly test that took over an hour to prove I was smart enough to get in. He barely glanced at it(the test was pure marketing). He finally told me the cost, something like $12,000 or something like that. They required you to buy a $2000 laptop from them that you could not get anywhere else even though you can get it cheaper.

when I told him it was too expensive he got mad and pointed at the door.

Called them again 2-3 years later when my company had training money out of curiosity. Again they refused to give me a price quote over the phone. I asked about classes and the person said I absolutely had to take their Visual Basic class also because all programmers know that... then tried to give me a lecture telling me she knew what was good for me. I tried to hang up and I literally hung up on her while she was speaking and trying to get my phone number.

Id recommend everyone avoid them like the plague. Test it yourself and see if they are any better. Anyone who wont give you a price upfront without BS, should be ignored. Received on Mon May 12 2003 - 16:37:00 CDT