Re: Oracle entry level

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:49:59 -0700

Frank Polinski wrote:

> I have my degree in CIS 3 years ago. It never realy came into play on
> past job which was software sales. i was recently laid off 3 months
> ago . So I decided I would polish up my skills by enrolling in an
> Oracle program at a techinical school in Atlanta. It seems that
> oracle 9i developer using forms and reports is the way to go if you
> intend to be a DBA down the line. however no techical schools in
> atlanta teach Developer 2000 just datebase modelling and design,Oracle
> 9i SQL and 2 courses of Oracle fundementals I and II PL/SQL. Is this
> enough training couple with a CIS degree to possibly qualify for entry
> level developer job?

You seem to have quite a bit of confusion.

  1. Oracle Forms and Reports, any version, is virtually irrelevant to a DBA position
  2. Developer/2000 is an obsolete product no longer supported by Oracle
  3. But yes you might land an entry level developer job. But I wouldn't expect anyone would have much use for you unless you can handle nested cursor loops and some serious PL/SQL which is something you don't mention at all.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu