Re: question : select

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 00:53:50 GMT

delaigue wrote:
> Hello,
>

> My purpose is to select the lines from the table "dossier" fulfilling
> conditions on fields belonging to the table "demande" ( "dossierid" is a
> primary key of table "dossier" and the couple ("dossierid", "demandeid") is
> a primary key of the table "demande" )
>
> I've tried to run this request via an interface for oracle ( TOADD ) :
>
> (1)
> select numdossier from dossier
> where dossierid in
> ( select dossierid from demande where demandeid between '165000000' and
> '170000000' and originedemande = 'e-Mail' and etatdemande = 'Transférée' )
> and it does not work, it makes TOADD run out
> For, there really is at least one line fulfilling the three conditions

What does the subquery alone return?
select dossierid from demande where demandeid between '165000000' and   '170000000' and originedemande = 'e-Mail' and etatdemande = 'Transférée'

Also, is there a reason for quoting the ID numbers?? IOW, why use '165000000'
instead of
  165000000

When Toad exits, what error message does it give?

> this one does work ( makes TOADD run out ) :
> select MonDossier.numdossier from dossier MonDossier, demande MaDemande
> where MonDossier.dossierid = MaDemande.dossierid and MaDemande.demandeid
> between '165420325' and '165420329'

Again what is the error message??????????????

> Can anybody tell me if there is something wrong in the request (1) ?
> Or give me a simple way to implement it differently ?
>

> Thank you by advance,
> Pascal Delaigue
> Good night
>
> P.S. : perhaps my english/american writing is not good, it's because I'm
> french -> if there are big mistakes, please tell me, thanks

instead of "run out" say "exit".

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/