Re: So difficult, so paintfull

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 19:55:41 GMT

amotito_at_yahoo.com said...
> > Not trying to be mean. Market is really bad. Especially at entry level. you
> > really need a computer science degree to have any shot to get into anything
> > related to programming. Its a good degree, however, part time it takes a
> > long time.
>
> Maybe, it's some misunderstand : I said this in the beginning of post
> :
> 3- I have a Bachelor degre in Computer Sciences and 3 years
> programming experience as C++ programmer, 1 year as postgresql
> developer and DBA.
>
> So I already have a degre on CS . I just want to move my career on
> database field and I am looking for a good path to use.

A lot of people in the IT field are simply "hunkering down" and trying to keep their present job ... no matter what -- or how bad -- it is. The employers know how bad it is ... and in many cases, are taking advantage of the situation, knowing they can pretty much demand anything of their employees. A degree and experience aren't enough at the moment to guarantee a job.

Unemployment in the high-tech field is brutal at the moment ... at least in the USA ... for example, it almost doubled for electrical engineers between Q4 2002 and Q1 2003. It's not quite as dismal (though close to it) for computer scientists. See the brief eWeek article, and weep:

But like nearly everything else, employment follows cycles. It will come around again. My crystal ball tells me so. :)

PS - As mentioned in the above article, many politicians, looking for a scapegoat, are pushing to rollback the H-1B visa quota.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA