Re: SQL Works but PL/SQL hangs

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:59:36 GMT

chuckh_at_softhome.net said...
> On 5 May 2003 07:42:47 -0700, Amir wrote:
>
> > amirrazakhan_at_hotmail.com (Amir) wrote in message news:<8c1ec68c.0305042245.6fb7405c_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I think this problem is due to SQL*Net Compatibility. The database
> > link connects the Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 7.3.3. Hence the Net8
> > communicate with the SQL*Net ver2. Can u please help me out in this
> > compatibility problem? Thanks.
> >
> > ~~Amir
>
> I don't think it's a compatibility problem. Net8 and Sqlnet 2.3 (Oracle
> 7.3.3) should be completely compatible. If you really want to identify why
> the session's hanging, use a 2nd session to look at what it's waiting on
> while it's hanging.

It's true they can communicate with each other ... but the syntax in one particular Net8 file (tnsnames.ora) has changed between Oracle7 and Oracle8.

Under Oracle7 your entry says "sid=..." and under Oracle8 it probably says "service_name=...". For backward compatibility, Net8 works with the "sid=..." (at least in 8i; don't know about 9i).

You might want to verify your tnsnames.ora. But I don't know why that would cause your app to "hang." You should just get the "cannot resolve service_name" error.

Another thing to check is that if your SELECT returns more than one row, you can't select it into a scalar variable. You'll need a WHERE clause. You should also consider putting an EXCEPTION section in your PL/SQL. I understand your sample code was just that ... and not meant to be the real code.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA