Re: So difficult, so paintfull

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 09:25:23 -0700

Nino Amot wrote:

> 1- Sorry for my english, i'd try my best
> 2- I want to work in oracle field but cannot get a job so I begin my
> OCP oracle 9i
> Now I get OCA credential ( 2 exams ). I'm not there for big salary,
> just for
> database stuff and a place to start.
> 3- I have a Bachelor degre in Computer Sciences and 3 years
> programming experience
> as C++ programmer, 1 year as postgresql developer and DBA.
> 4- I like postgresql but there is no must job there ( montreal ) for
> postgresql and I dont know if it is good path for live work.
>
> 5- My plan is to finish DBA certification and try to have starting
> position as pl/sql programmer ( It seem like there is no starting
> position for dba ). I know pl/sql ( finish Oreilly book ) but I DONT
> want to certify as form/report programer ( form suck ).
>
> 6- Is there possible to be a good dba without doing form/developer6i.
> I work 40hour/week and I take 15hour/week at home for Oracle stuff (
> playing with my OTN version of 9i, store procedure and preparing
> certification ).
>
> 7- Is my plan realistic ? Can I got an oracle job in 6/8 month even if
> I have to work harder. Where to start, how to start..., so paintfull.
> Please, any advice. I'm very bored to do C++.
> Note : I can even take salary smaller than wath I got now and I know,
> certification is not real-live experience.
> Thanks for your advice.

The first thing to do is not post the same thing multiple times.

  1. Better than my (pick the language of your choice)
  2. From my experience these certifications are worthless and will not help you get a job
  3. Formal education experience is valued by employers.
  4. There aren't very many paying PostgreSQL jobs anywhere. A quick search of dice.com and monster.com will demonstrate that fact.
  5. Some may, but I would never hire a DBA that wasn't first a developer for 5 years or more. BTW I like Forms.
  6. I would not consider knowledge of Forms relevant to most DBA positions. But knowledge of Korn shell scripting or Perl essential. And if you don't "love" vi ... forget it.
  7. Oracle developer job yes ... DBA job ... no. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)