Re: Which Version To Target?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:44:40 -0700

Joseph Wilson wrote:

> I am in the process of designing a data warehouse. Oracle 9i has a lot of
> new features that I would like to take advantage of. But by doing this, my
> application would require separate logic and testing to run on 8i. I know
> that 8i is desupported as of december of this year. In peoples experience,
> how long will a company sit on an unsupported version. Should I go ahead and
> take advantage of the 9i features and not worry about 8i or should I code
> for 8i so it works in both? I really can't decide which is the best move.
>
> Joe

Specifically which 9i features are you interested in using that are not in 8i?

I would be thinking in terms of 10i due out later this year. When will your app be available for sale? Before or after the 10i release? (not that we have an exact date but we do have a strong indication it will be this year).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu