Re: Ora and LDAP?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:54:53 GMT

Ace wrote:

> What is Oracle's position on LDAP? I get a bit confused, as it
> typically points back to their IFS. Are their API's available? Will
> JNDI do? Any clients pre-packaged?
>
> Thanks -

Oracle fully supports LDAP. Their own LDAP is called OID = Oracle Internet Directory and is fully V3 compliant (they even have a certificate saying so).

LDAP is LDAP is LDAP. But LDAP is really a database descriptor and that supports the use of 'schemas' to define what are the data contents. Oracle has created some schemas that reflect the Oracle database/app-server/tool-set requirements and I don't think you can load those schemas directly into other LDAP engines.

If you use OID, it can be accessed just like any other LDAP engine. You can get a lot more info from the Oracle Internet Direcotry Administration Guide in the documentation on http://tahiti.oracle.com . IIRC, same place you migt find a developer's guide that discusses the APIs.

Also check out JDeveloper. I seem to recall that one of the wizards understands JNDI & OID (memory is vague & I could be wrong) Received on Tue Apr 29 2003 - 22:54:53 CDT