Re: Which Version To Target?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:45:49 GMT

I know there are still customers who are using 7.1 (and likely some using 6.x) I suspect people will be using 8i for a long time to come - likely at least 5 years. There are people still asking basic 'how tos' about 8.0 in this forum..

As far as I can tell, all 8i warehouse & BI features have been ported forward to 9i. I consider 8.0 to have been the baseline for major warehouse capabilities, and 8i to be baseline for BI capabilities, which are finally reaching maturity in 9i. Any warehouse designs I do now depend on 9i only.

Some of the reasons I use for going 9i only: