Re: do I use SQL*Loader or embedded SQL????

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 17:52:36 -0800

chris (od488gw02_at_sneakemail.com) wrote:
: I'm sure this is a silly design question, but I'm curious as to why
: I'd ever want to do use embedded SQL from my Bourne Shell script, when
: it's easier to just write the output to a .ctl file and run sqlldr?

Perhaps to do something that sqlldr doesn't do?

And then if you do several things using a shell script then it might be best to do everything using the same technique, simply for consistancy.

As for efficiency, if you're loading (e.g.) five new records then efficiency is probably not the issue, so the best technique will be the one that is easiest for the programmer to set up and maintain. Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 20:52:36 CDT