Re: Returning Range of values where gaps exist

From: Tim Frawley <tim_frawley_at_fishgame.state.ak.us>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 09:20:17 -0700

Here is the entire set of Data I am attempting to manipulate.

SPECIMEN_ID	READER
001	JWC
002	JWC
003	JWC
004	JWC
005	JWC
006	JWC
007	JWC
008	JWC
009	JWC
010	JWC
011	JWC
012	JWC
013	JWC
014	JWC
015	JWC
016	JWC
017	JWC
018	JWC
019	JWC
020	JWC
021	JWC
022	JWC
023	JWC
024	JWC
025	JWC
026	JWC
027	JWC
028	JWC
029	JWC
030	JWC
031	JWC
032	JWC
033	JWC
034	JWC
035	JWC
036	JWC
037	JWC
038	JWC
039	JWC
040	JWC
041	JWC
042	JWC
043	JWC
044	JWC
045	JWC
046	JWC
047	JWC
048	JWC
049	JWC
050	JWC
051	JWC
052	JWC
053	JWC
054	JWC
055	JWC
056	DSO
057	DSO
058	DSO
059	DSO
060	DSO
061	DSO
062	DSO
063	DSO
064	DSO
065	DSO
066	DSO
067	DSO
068	DSO
069	DSO
070	DSO
071	DSO
072	DSO
073	DSO
074	DSO
075	DSO
076	DSO
077	DSO
078	DSO
079	DSO
080	RSL
081	RSL
082	RSL
083	RSL
084	RSL
085	RSL
086	RSL
087	RSL
088	RSL
089	RSL
090	RSL
091	RSL
092	RSL
093	RSL
094	RSL
095	RSL
096	RSL
097	DSO
098	DSO
099	DSO
100	DSO
101	JWC
102	JWC
103	JWC
104	JWC
105	JWC
106	JWC
107	JWC
108	JWC
109	JWC
110	JWC
111	JWC
112	JWC
113	JWC
114	JWC
115	JWC
116	JWC
117	JWC
118	JWC
119	JWC
120	JWC
121	JWC
122	JWC
123	JWC
124	JWC
125	JWC
126	JWC
127	JWC
128	JWC
129	JWC
130	JWC
131	JWC
132	JWC
133	JWC
134	JWC
135	JWC
136	JWC
137	JWC
138	JWC
139	JWC
140	JWC
141	JWC
142	JWC
143	JWC
144	JWC
145	JWC
146	JWC
147	JWC
148	JWC
149	JWC
150	JWC
151	JWC
152	JWC
153	JWC
154	JWC
155	JWC
156	JWC
157	JWC
158	JWC
159	JWC
160	JWC
161	JWC
162	JWC
163	JWC
164	JWC
165	JWC
166	JWC
167	JWC
168	JWC
169	JWC
170	JWC
171	JWC
172	JWC
173	JWC
174	JWC
175	JWC
176	JWC
177	JWC
178	JWC
179	JWC
180	JWC
181	JWC
182	JWC
183	JWC
184	JWC
185	JWC
186	JWC
187	JWC
188	JWC
189	JWC
190	JWC
191	JWC
192	JWC
193	JWC
194	JWC
195	JWC
196	JWC
197	JWC
198	JWC
199	JWC
200	JWC
201	JWC
202	JWC

I am attempting to return rows of data that look like this:

READER       START          END
JWC           001           055
DSO           056           079
RSL           080           096
DSO           097           100
JWC           101           202

The table contains multiple SAMPLEIDs that contain SPECIMENIDs as shown above. These records are all READING_NUMBER 1 where these specimens have been read the first time. The table will contain Read Numbers greater than 1 so I will eventually have to state where reading number is 1 and reading number 2 does not exist for that specimen id. I can handle that much I just am not sure how to write the SQL to get the results as above. I believe if I can compare the specimen id to the rownum when returning just one sample_id I may be able to get the results I am looking for. Unfortunately the specimen id is a text field and comparing it to the rownum may require a data type conversion. I am playing with it now.

I want to thank you for your help as it has been very much appreciated. If you have any additional ideas with the extra information I have provided please let me know. I am working with the SQL you have provided as it has given me a few ideas. Thank you very much!!!

Sincerely,

Tim Frawley Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 11:20:17 CDT