Re: Expanded Oracle DBA Site

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:10:49 -0400

"Sarah Billings" <rukind68_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b7b5fcac.0304260430.628ae7d8_at_posting.google.com...
> > > Frankly, I think that there are no "clean hands" on either side of
> > > this dispute.
> >
> > There are, and they belong to Howard J. Rogers.
>
> You joke, right?
>
> It's not about the act (copying some dumb web page), it's about the
> way this Oracle rep treated the "perp".

Sarah, you must have missed something important. I assume you did not read the entire other thread Mr. Hunter and this silly geomancer character quoted out of context. Mr. Rogers did not represent his employer when he created the document, and he did not represent his employer when he enforced his copyright.

In fact, from what I can gather, it was his employer's fear of exactly the sort of ignorant knee-jerk assumptions you are making that caused their legal department to stifle Mr. Rogers' own publication of his material.

> If one of the people at
> Oracle treated me that way, I would complain all the way to Larry
> Ellison.

Treated you what way? Mr. Hunter stole from Mr. Rogers. Mr. Hunter called Mr. Rogers insulting names in a public forum as retribution for having gotten caught stealing. Mr. Hunter published a long rambling defiant tirade where he claimed a right to steal from Mr. Rogers and a right to libel Mr. Rogers. Finally, Mr. Hunter quoted a tiny portion of a large thread of discussion in such a way as to materially misrepresent facts, and he did this solely in retribution to cause Mr. Rogers embarassment and to damage his good reputation.

Mr. Rogers expressed mild displeasure at discovering Mr. Hunter's violation of his copyright and demanded that Mr. Hunter comply with that copyright--as one can only expect he would. He also contrasted Mr. Hunter's insanely belligerent responses with another site's swift and contrite response to a similar demand for copyright compliance.

Your post indicating you believe there is a reason to complain to Mr. Rogers' employer only serves to demonstrate that Mr. Hunter was very successful at damaging Mr. Rogers' good reputation. Should you succeed at convincing Mr. Rogers' employer as well, you would only serve to create quantifiable damages. Are you trying to get Mr. Hunter sued?

> I have been on this board for many years and witnessed Howard J.
> Rogers being rude, offensive, and nasty, especially to beginners or
> anyone he disagreed with. Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone defending
> his behavior.

I have not witnessed anywhere he has been rude, offensive or nasty to beginners or to anyone else. I have not defended any behaviour where he did so. Frankly, I can only imagine anyone condemning his behaviour as relates to this specific matter in the same way I can imagine a rapist's friends and lawyers calling the rape victims sluts.

While you may not have thought things through, what you are saying is, because you don't like Mr. Rogers (or perhaps his employer), you think it is appropriate for Mr. Hunter to steal from him and for Mr. Hunter to post malicious damaging lies about him and for yet other people to repeat those lies indiscriminately.

I find your defense of Mr. Hunter's behaviour base and ugly. As a result, I do not particularly like you. However, I don't believe anyone has a right to steal from you. I do not believe anyone has a right to post malicious lies about you in public places. I do not believe anyone has a right to commit any crimes or torts against you. In fact, I think you have rights to your property and to your safety no matter how much I dislike you. Received on Sat Apr 26 2003 - 20:10:49 CDT