Re: Can Ora 8i Write and Read XML data?

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:09:53 GMT

Well, I just began doing some experiments, but I can confirm that you can successfully transform a properly formatted XML document into a recordset and load it into a db table using XSU.
You can also invoke the utility from the command line in the form: java OracleXML putXML -user "usr/pwd" -fileName "data.xml" "test_table"

For instance, if oracle_table is defined like

CREATE TABLE test_table (name VARCHAR2(10), title VARCHAR2(30));

then you xml file must look like:

<?xml version = '1.0'?>

<ROWSET>

<ROW num="1">

<NAME>ASR</NAME>

<TITLE>A.S. ROMA</TITLE>

</ROW>

<ROW num="2">

<NAME>ACE</NAME>

<TITLE>ACEA</TITLE>

</ROW>

</ROWSET>

If the input file is still XML but with a different format, say the tags are called differently, then you must transform the document upfront using an XSLT transformation.

I didn't check the performance aspects yet, may be they are reasonable only for limited quantities of data, but I am currently working on this stuff in my spare time.

Bye,

Flavio Received on Sat Apr 26 2003 - 11:09:53 CDT