Re: stored proc to create sequence, insufficent priv

From: Ken Chesak <datavector_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 13:36:52 -0700

> I would go further than "hopefully" with respect to production. It would be a violation of
> what I have learned over the decades is good practice to do so. And I still question its use

That was a tongue in cheek comment, humor you might say.

> here. I fail to see why, if you are dropping and recreating a schema for development and
> testing you would want to do this.

I said nothing about dropping and recreating schemas, I am loading and reloading tables, ie inserting/deleting/inserting. This is a large conversion from another database.

> Take a good look in /rdbms/admin at sql.bsq, catalog.sql, catproc.sql and its subscripts. Do
> you see Oracle, even once, doing what you are doing? No! And there is a very good reason.

As I stated before this proc would be used during development only, and just as a nice thing to have, not critical.

I now understand that having a privlege granted via role is a little different than having it granted directly. But why can I drop the sequence and alter the sequence via the procedure? Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 15:36:52 CDT