Re: Cursor

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:50:25 +0200

On 25 Apr 2003 18:20:28 +1000, "Smirky" <pjcarter_at_webone.com.au> wrote:

>Ive just started a new job where I am using an Oracle database. In the stored
>procedures the previous developer has opened a cursor to return a recordset
>but doesnt close it anywhere.Q1. is this going to cause memory problems.
>Q2 Is a ref cursor really needed to return a recordset?
>
>Thanks

Q1 No, explicit cursors are closed automatically, cursor handles used in dbms_sql aren't. Also if the cursor returns a recordset, why close it?
Q2 Yes

Please start reading the PL/SQL reference manual now.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 12:50:25 CDT