Re: Oracle Designer 6i client/Server to 9i Web

From: John N Owen <jnowen_at_swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:09:35 -0500

We are looking at this right now, we have ~ 600 custom forms and about the same number of custom reports. The little things are what are starting to add up. Things you may have taken for granted for years may become an issue and add time to your project. Think of those little icons, if you have created your own, now you need not only the ico file but also the same "picture" in gif or jpg format. This is not difficult to do, just one more thing that increases the projects cost.

We currently use extensive ora_ffi, OLE2, calls to windows API from our forms. Well if your middle tier is now Unix, guess what none of the above works. If you need to launch Word or Excel from an Oracle form, and have that displayed on the client then stand by to create javabeans and certificates, because the code executes on the machine running the forms servlet not the client.

If your form layouts are anything like ours i.e. "packed", plan on several hours a form to fix layout (in addition to fixing obsolete items). Unfortunately the font we used in every one of our forms is not one of the web fonts so items now lay on top of labels and boiler plate text. Oracle also recommends placing all of the items from tab pages on stacked canvases, then not displaying the stacked canvas until the tab page is changed to speed up the rendering and initial querying. One of the presenters at last years ODTUG identified that they budgeted 5 hours per form and three hours per report to make the conversion.

There is a utility available that will at least identify the obsolete code see the white paper on migration. While the batch method is available for compiling the fmx, Oracle actually recommends that each fmb, rdf be compiled and generated from the form / report builder tool to reduce overall project costs.

But, I also would like to talk to anyone who has made this migration with custom forms and reports at the enterprise level.

Sincerely,
John

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Wed Apr 23 2003 - 22:09:35 CDT