Re: ODBC & VPN

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:40:43 GMT

hdjulie_at_remove.spam.cox.net said...
> Thanks for the info! However, I use the VPN to connect to my work network
> rather than to a PC. The software resides on my own home computer (the one
> I meant when I said the client machine). The information you gave is still
> valid though -- I would install the software on my home PC rather than my
> work PC. I have software called "Oracle for Windows NT" installed (even
> though I am using Windows XP) but that seems to be just the ODBC drivers & I
> need the Client software that has SQL*Net. I don't remember seeing it on
> the Oracle site as a download & am guessing that it is not something they
> offer for free. I'll check into it some more. Thanks again!

Thanks for clarifying your situation. Since XP is based (at least loosely) on NT, you should be ok ... though Oracle only supports XP Pro (not XP Home) ... though that just means you can't call and complain ... but some posters on this NG have successfully installed it on XP Home.

You won't see Oracle Client as a separate download. You install Oracle Server (Enterprise or Standard) and about the 3rd dialog box in the install, you can choose to install the client only (if I remember, you can choose something like the Developer client or some other options).

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA