Re: pro*c/c++

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:44:08 GMT

yguan_at_houston.rr.com said...
> Did anybody know how popular pro*c/c++ is among oracle professionals. Is it
> more used on windows or Unix?. How is it compared with pl/sql?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Allen Guan
> 281-489-2314

The following is pure speculation and my opinion only (I'll leave the "popularity" grade to the people who take polls).

All of the PRO utilities (pro*c, pro*fortran, pro*cobol, etc) used to be much more popuar in the past because these languages didn't have native database-aware libraries ... so you had to pass them thru a pre-parser to convert SQL into C library calls (using Oracle-supplied libraries).

With the recent advent of database-aware programming languages like Java and web scripting languages like Perl or PHP or JSP or ... well, lots of them ... the old PRO utilities have kinda lost their glamor. Of course, if you have plenty of C or Fortran or Cobol programmers available, then they'll probably stick with these older utilities because they don't have to learn a new language.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA