Re: Names Servers - How To Remove

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:21:35 GMT

"Chris \( Val \)" <chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au> said...

> "Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message
> | "Chris \( Val \)" <chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au> said...
> | >
> | > I still have a lot to learn in Oracle, no doubt about it.
> | >
> | > I am trying to create a database link in PL/SQL using 9i
> | > on one machine to 9i on another. I'm not sure I understand
> | > these configuration files enough to do it without some help.
> | >
> | > Can you offer some suggestions to get me on the right track ?
> | >
> | > Thanks.
> | > Chris Val
> | >
> | Using sqlplus on the source database, you create a database link to the
> | target database. You only have to do this once, so PL/SQL is probably
> | not the best choice; use sqlplus.
> |
> | You use a different syntax depending on whether you want to connect as
> | the same userid (an identical Oracle userid must exist on both the
> | source and the target db) or as a different userid (in which case, you
> | supply the userid/password in the database link).
> |
> | You can find the syntax in the SQL Reference manual at tahiti.oracle.com
> | (create database link <name>...).
>
> Hi Karsten.
>
> My problem is not really the syntax, as shown below, that
> seems fairly straight forward. My problem however, is that
> I'm not sure how to configure the 'sqlnet_string' below.
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK link_name
> CONNECT TO username IDENTIFIED BY password
> USING sqlnet_string;
>
> I'll have a look in the reference manual you suggested, but
> if you think its a fairly simple thing to do, then I would
> be glad to see a brief example if possible ?.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Cheers.
> Chris Val

You probably already discovered this while I was home (no, I don't work 24 hours a day), but...

The "sqlnet_string" is the tnsnames.ora alias name you assigned. For example, if you have the following entry in the tnsnames.ora file on your source computer:

  target_db = (description...

Then you create your database link on the source computer like this:

  create database link target_link
    connect to scott identified by tiger     using 'target_db';

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA