Re: Names Servers - How To Remove

From: Chris \( Val \) <chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:54:14 +1000

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:MPG.190f086695a37db2989746_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net...
| "Chris \( Val \)" <chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au> said...
| >
| > I still have a lot to learn in Oracle, no doubt about it.
| >
| > I am trying to create a database link in PL/SQL using 9i
| > on one machine to 9i on another. I'm not sure I understand
| > these configuration files enough to do it without some help.
| >
| > Can you offer some suggestions to get me on the right track ?
| >
| > Thanks.
| > Chris Val
| >
| Using sqlplus on the source database, you create a database link to the
| target database. You only have to do this once, so PL/SQL is probably
| not the best choice; use sqlplus.
|
| You use a different syntax depending on whether you want to connect as
| the same userid (an identical Oracle userid must exist on both the
| source and the target db) or as a different userid (in which case, you
| supply the userid/password in the database link).
|
| You can find the syntax in the SQL Reference manual at tahiti.oracle.com
| (create database link <name>...).

Hi Karsten.

My problem is not really the syntax, as shown below, that seems fairly straight forward. My problem however, is that I'm not sure how to configure the 'sqlnet_string' below.

CREATE DATABASE LINK link_name
 CONNECT TO username IDENTIFIED BY password  USING sqlnet_string;

I'll have a look in the reference manual you suggested, but if you think its a fairly simple thing to do, then I would be glad to see a brief example if possible ?.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers.
Chris Val Received on Wed Apr 23 2003 - 07:54:14 CDT