Can't Connect to Oracle w/ Host Name w/ ODBC and BDE

From: Henry Lafleur <henryl_at_bengaldevelopment.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2003 13:29:22 -0700

This starts (as usual) with a long story:

We created several Oracle databases on a server. At first they were created with one domain name (say bar.com). Later, we renamed the domain (i.e. foo.bar.com), and consequently the global database names using a technique we found on UseNet (it's like a 10 step process See: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3cb7431f.66977819%40news.telocity.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dchange%2Bdomain%2Bname%2BOracle%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D3cb7431f.66977819%2540news.telocity.com%26rnum%3D1)

We are not using tnsnames.ora _at all_. We are using strictly host name. Everything was working fine until we renamed the domain.

Now, we can connect to Oracle database using sqlplus, the Microsoft Oracle OLEDB provider, and other common oracle tools, but we cannot connect using ODBC or the BDE. It makes no sense. We can use TNSPING and ping and see everything, so that's not the problem.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? We cannot find anything on the web or on usenet. We did a global search on the server files and the registry for SERVICE.bar.com and the only place it showed up was in some SNMP files, but SNMP is disabled on all services.

If you have the answer, thanks in advance. Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 15:29:22 CDT