Re: Editing configuration pfile created by dbca

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:13:56 -0700

Peter wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:29:53 -0700, Daniel Morgan
> <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >Peter wrote:
> >
> >> I used dbca to create my database. Of course I did not have to make up
> >> a configuration pfile mysefl.
> >> I realized that dbca created 2 different configuration pfile during
> >> the process of creating the database.
> >> There is one in
> >> <base>\ora92\database
> >> and another in
> >> <base>\admin\pfile
> >>
> >> Both contain the same stuff. But I wonder if I edit one of them, what
> >> will happen to the other? Any help?
> >
> >When you edit one file ... you edit one file. Assuming both copies are
> >identical, they usually are not, the copy in \database is the active copy.
> >The other a back-up.
> >
> >Usually, the copy in \database contains a reference to the other. So be
> >very sure of what you are doing.
>
> I don't actually see a reference to the other pfile from copy in
> \database
>
> I can only see reference to the control files, dump files and archive
> directories etc
>
> Thanks

Often the init.ora at \database contains something like the following:

IFILE='c:\orant\ora81\admin\abu\pfile\init.ora'

pointing to the one in admin plus any instance specific parameters.

If that is not the case modify the one in \database and then make sure you have a backup of the original as well as the new one in case you made a mistake and need to go back.

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)