Re: lock Oracle db objects, but only a lock for others?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:08:31 -0700

> > On Error Goto
>
> What is the correct way to Error Handle in VB6?

To handle the errors in the back-end, or middle-tier ifone exists: Not in the front-end. VB should only be used to display messages returned from the serer.

> > If things like this have been written expect that the entire code base
> needs to
> > be rewritten.
> >

> Can you please give an example of a correct construction for VB6 and Oracle?
>
> (or is it the order, begin trans followed by error handling)
> (or is it that vb6 should not be used with Oracle)
>
> I guess I'm not clear on how it should be done.
>
> Thanks.

No problem. I teach an entire certificate program, three quarters, at the University of Washington on the subject. So I'll just include all of that information here in this usenet post
(http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp) just kidding. Seriously this is not
something that can be done generically. Just to give you an example of what I would consider minimal information required to construct Oracle error handling ... I would say that you must understand all of the following:

TooManyDays EXCEPTION;
EXCEPTION WHEN TooManyDays THEN
EXCEPTION WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN
PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT
RAISE;
RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR(-20001, 'Date Can Not Be In The Future'); AUTONOMOUS TRANSACTIONS And likely I'll think of something I missed as soon as press the SEND button.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Apr 20 2003 - 17:08:31 CDT