Re: lost oracle_sid

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:39:13 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:99p2avsriqns0apk4vlptbjtcr440ets25_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:31:07 GMT, "Paul Murphy" <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It's already there and SQL*Plus is using it (I can log into SQL*Plus
without
> >specifying the database and it reads the registry key to send me to the
> >correct database). It's got to be something that EXP reads that SQL*Plus
> >doesn't (or vice versa).
> >
> >-Paul
> You must have an installation with multiple Oracle homes, and they are
> listed in the incorrect order in your PATH.
> Oracle btw specifically recommends you DON'T set the Oracle_sid in the
> registry, especially not in multi home installations
> From the path the executable will derive the value of ORACLE_HOME. In
> this directory it will find the file oracle.key, which contains the
> registry variables to use.
> There is nothing wrong with either issuing
> set oracle_sid=<your sid>
> or
> set local=<appropiate servicname>
> prior to export
> or even just simply use exp <username/password>@<appropiate
> servicename>
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

You're right, problem solved. I remembered installing Forms 6i and it told me I couldn't use my existing Oracle Home, so I gave the 9iDS install a new Oracle Home assuming that 9iDS would give me an error saying it can't use the existing Oracle Home. Back when I was looking at Forms 6i, I wasn't using EXP, so I wouldn't have run across the problem. Thanks, Sybrand. Paul Murphy Received on Sat Apr 19 2003 - 10:39:13 CDT