Re: How do you remove an Oracle service?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:40:39 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>Just remove them using the registry editor (regedit, or regedt32)

> Uh huh. You recommend hacking around the registry if you want to. I'd rather
> not. Most Windows users would rather not, too.

Why not? If there's alternative (oradim will not work, as this is the agent, not the instance) in the form of a program to do it in a controlled way, the best alternative is to edit it yourself. After all, the registry is nothing more than some kind of ini-file.

And I would not consider that hacking around - at least you do it yourself, and (I assume) you know exactly what you are doing. If you would feel more comfortable by renaming it, rename it. Sure to delete - delete! It's up to you. You are in control, not the PC.

Besides, you do change your .login (or .csh, or ...) file, do you? You do type 'set oracle_sid=orcl' or 'export ORACLE_SID=orcl', don't you? Similar exercise, in my book.

The registry is no holy place, and there are two tools to edit it. Learn to use them, learn the registry.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel