Client and Server software mixed up

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:05:50 +0200

I installed the client Oracle Software 8.1.7 on a Windows 2000 notebook in order to connect to an Oracle DB V. 9i. That works fine.

Now a local DB is needed on the notebook just for demonstration purposes (a Demo DB should be running there). Is the Oracle Personal Edition an adequate version of Oracle to do this? If yes, should I deinstall the client software (V. 8.1.7) prior to installing the Personal Edition V 9i?

The Personal Edition of the DB will be Verion 9i, since it will contain a subset of data from an production Oracle 9i DB.

So these are 2 questions? 1) About having Client and "Server" Software installed simultaneously or not, and 2) about the suitable Version of Oracle for demo purposes (only 1 user will be connected, locally). I suppose that the PE, holding data coming from a 9i DB, will not raise compatibility problems. No real server features will be needed on the notebook other than allowing to show a session.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 17:05:50 CDT