Re: Newbie question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:38:24 +0100

"Slaphead" <mike_at_mwgw.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:b7hpoh$dgp$1_at_newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi, I've just installed Oracle 9i onto my pc and want to create a simple
> database, perhaps 3 or 4 tables and play around with DDL and DML commands
> and practise some sql queries. Can anyone get me started with step by step
> instructions on how to create the database and run my sql. Alternatively,
> would be grateful if yoou know of ant web sites with beginner
instructions.

Supplied with your software are two things that you may be after.

  1. A database configuration assistant which is a graphical tool for creating databases. Whilst perhaps not as easy to use as a microsoft product (you do need make at least two decisions during install) it is really straightforward to use. Found (on windows) at Start|Programs|Oracle <home name>|Configuration and Migration Tools|database Configuration Assistant, or on *nix by typing dbca when logged in as an appropriate user.
  2. If you already have a database and are after some sample tables, then what you are really after is a sample schema. You can create this by logging into sqlplus (the tool for issuing your sql statements) as a privileged user (try SYSTEM) and typing @?/rdbms/admin/utlsampl (this works on both *nix and windows). This will create tghe famous SCOTT/TIGER schema.

I'd also recommend browsing at least the concepts manual (for things like what a database is and what a schema is).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA