Re: How to talk to LISTENER

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:20:27 -0600

See below ...

Agron wrote:
> Great, thank you Jim.
>
> I did not know Oracle lets you download their products for free for
> development purposes. This is great. Actually fantastic. Documentation
> is there too!
>
> I/m downloading in B/G, I hope the installation won't ask me for some
> product key off some CD, is it?
>
> Well anyway, I'll do as you say with tnsping and network sniffer. But do
> you have to be so picky about how we call the servers?
>
> When you say sql server, every one knows that your talking about a
> server that gives you data in exchange for sql expressions. Now all
> servers, in computer terminology, serve data. Be it a file server, web
> server, ICQ server, real media server.

Wrong. The term "SQL Server" implies MS SQL Server (the product). No one thinks in such esoteric terms as "a server that gives data in exchange for sql". What about SQL statements that do not return data (i.e. DDL type statements)?

> And I don't agree to call only MS SQL Server a 'SQL server' (despite its
> name) and all other RDBMS by their individual product name.
> MS SQL Server is not the only SQL Server. And hence the component I am
> working on.

You may not agree on it, but no one will understand what you are talking about. Jargon, especially in this field, is an important part of communication.

> In the latest MS Platform SDK, MS has added an API function to find
> only MICROSOFT SQL Servers. A great idea. Something we wanted for a long
> time. But I think it is incomplete. I think it should list all sql
> servers or RDBMS that can receive SQL, not those RDBMS that receive
> specialized DBF type of commands.

How would they do this? MySQL is different than PostgreSQL is different than Ingres, etc.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA