invalid hosts file on 9iAS install

From: buckwheat <buckwheat_phd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 13:08:32 -0700

Host is Redhat 2.1 AServ, Intel. It already has 9i DB laid down and working.

"your local hostname database is not configured properly" comes up during initial stages of install of the Oracle 9i Application Server.

My hosts file looks like the examples provided. Here's the actual file:

127.0.0.1               shimp localhost.localdomain localhost
10.2.1.151              shimp shimp.localhost.localdomain
10.2.1.124              meco meco.microa.com

hostname = "shimp"

I also tried shimp.microa.com in the /etc/hosts file also. No luck.

Is there anyplace special that Ora is looking for this hosts information? On Solaris, there are hosts files all over the place. But on Linux, only /etc/hosts and hostname are the ones I know of.

Is there any method to try to figure out what the Oracle 9iAS Installer really wants (i.e., more specific messages)?

the "microa.com" domain is just one I made up - is this a DNS issue perhaps?

Also - should I be able to alter the /etc/hosts file, then just click retry from within the installer (instead of re-running "runInstaller" again)?

Thanks so much - Received on Tue Apr 15 2003 - 15:08:32 CDT