Re: sqlldr - sequence nextval

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:33:45 GMT

Ken Chesak wrote:
> I would like to use sequence.nextval to update column value in sqlldr.
> The column does not exist in the input file.
>
> LOAD DATA
> INFILE 'gws_case.dat'
> APPEND
> INTO TABLE benefit_case
> FIELDS TERMINATED BY X'09'
>
> (
> id_benefit_case SEQUENCE(MAX,1), <<< this works

So if it work, then use it.

> case_no ,
> id_seq
> )
>
> But I would like to use something like this, but I cant figure out the
> right syntax:
> id_benefit_case SEQUENCE(sq_benefit_case.nextval)
>
> I can use the SEQUENCE(MAX,1) but then I would need to update the
> sequence sq_benefit_case to the correct value after running sqlldr.
>
> Thanks

That's the easier way to go. But if your DB must be online during the load I can sse a need for the NEXTVAL.

I don't have an environment handy to test this but using a SQL clause on the field should do it. So try

id_benefit_case integer "sq_benefit_case.nextval",

If that doesn't, then wrap it up in a function and use it

id_benefit_case integer "next_benefit_case_id()",

where next_benefit_case_id() is a PL/SQL function that selects and returns the nextval.

    HTH

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/