Re: Newbie question

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:17:18 +0200

Gregg Vicik wrote:
> I have installed Oracle 9i Personal Edition on a Windows XP Pro box. I would
> like to know how to login to Oracle using the SQL Plus program, without
> using a host string. I have created a database, but since I am on a PC I
> really don't have any host to connect to?? Any help that anyone can give
> would be great.

Your PC acts as server (the database engine) and as client (SQL*Plus). Don't forget that, ever. (It will make things clear, in the future)

Having said that, there are some options to avoid all this client server stuff.
The most elegant option involves manually editing your tnsnames.ora (client-side!) network configuration file.

The easiest is an environment setting, which will act as default host connect string. This setting is 'local' the value is the value of the host connect string (better formulated: the tns alias) you would usually type.

For Windows, the "normal" place for those settings would be the registry

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel